Montgomery Meigs Office (76)1318 N Street NW
Constructed in 1882, demolished
Acting as agents for the owner, Cluss and Schulze designed a small, brick office building next to the house of General Montgomery Meigs. At the rear of the lot, the office replaced a stable.
Cluss had known Meigs since at least the 1860s. Meigs served on the Building Committee for the National Museum, which Cluss and Schulze designed. Meigs was Quartermaster-General of the Union Army during the Civil War and was the engineer who supervised the completion the dome of the U.S. Capitol and the completion of Washingtons water system. By 1882, when this office was constructed, Meigs was the architect in charge of the construction of the Pension Building, now home to the National Building Museum.