Inaugural Ball Building (temporary building) (72)Judiciary Square
Constructed in 1873, demolished
Heading a volunteer committee of local Republicans, Adolf Cluss and his fellow architect A.B. Mullet designed and built the temporary Ball pavilion at Judiciary Square for the second inauguration of president Ulysses S. Grant in March 1873. When Mullett resigned a year later as the engineer member of the Board of Public Works, Grant appointed Cluss to his position.
In 1872, Cluss also had worked for Mullet, then Supervising Architect of the US federal government, as the builder of the new jail for the District of Columbia, designed by Mullet (see No. 91).