Stanford Stable (69)South side of L Street between 18th and 19th, NW
Constructed in 1886, demolished ca. 1920/21
The stable on L Street was built for Leland Stanford, U.S. Senator from California. As an investor in western railroads, Stanford became a millionaire. He founded Leland Stanford, Jr. University in memory of his only son who had died. Stanford introduced bills in Congress providing for joint ownership of big business by investors and workers. In 1885, Stanford appointed the Washington journalist John McCarthy as his private secretary for political and Senate business. In this same year, Cluss and Schulze were designing a residence for McCarthy's mother on 15th Street, NW (see No. 80).
For his residence, Stanford rented one of the houses of Shepherd's Row.
The Washington Post describes the stable as "a two-story brick structure, on three lots … one of the finest private stables in the city." The building permit estimates its cost at $10,000, about twice the cost of many of Cluss's houses in the 1880s. Congressman Edward de Veaux Morrell of Philadelphia owned the stables from 1901 to 1920 - and he also lived at Shepherd's Row.