Henry School (63)6th and 7th streets, NW
Constructed in 1880, demolished
The Henry School was designed as a prototypical grammar school for students in grades seven to eight, and a model of it was exhibited at the Paris Exposition in 1878. In the commissioner of education's report to Congress, the school was described as having "some original features but which represents very well the best grammar school-houses found in American cities." Here the success of the exhibit was such that the French government requested it be placed permanently in the Palais Bourbon's pedagogical museum.
On the opposite side of 7th Street, Cluss and Schulze designed a store and residence building for John M. Young in 1883.