Curtis School (62)O Street between 32nd and 33rd streets, NW
Constructed in 1875, demolished 1951
The Curtis School was erected in 1875 in Georgetown. The riverfront tobacco port, founded in 1751, had been assimilated into the District of Columbia in 1871.
The neighborhood had hoped for a high school and community center and so housed the privately funded Peabody Library and Linthicum Institute within the Curtis School. It was not until 1890 that the college preparatory Western High School would be located here, on the top floor of Cluss's 1875 building.
As at Sumner, a central entrance tower with clock and bell asserted the building's presence near the center of Georgetown on commercial Wisconsin Avenue at O Street, NW.