Garfield Memorial Hospital, new wing (15)10th Street between Boundary (today Florida) and Sherman Avenues, NW
Constructed in 1886, demolished
Named for President James Garfield, assassinated in July 1881, after only four months as President, the location of the new hospital reflected the beginning of the migration of Washington's population to suburban locations north of Boundary Street (now Florida Avenue). Cluss and Schulze designed a building adjacent to a large private residence that was the first hospital building. The new building provided beds for 50 additional patients and "a well-lighted and well-equipped (surgical) amphitheater". The new hospital building cost $25,000,000.
Cluss had known Garfield who had served as a US Senator from Ohio. Cluss built a fence for his residence and, as a member of the Board of Public Works, tried to find employment for a friend of Garfield's. Cluss chaired the Promenade and Reception Committee at Garfield's inaugural ball in 1881, held in the National Museum designed by Cluss and Schulze.