The Klostergasse in Heilbronn with the estate of the Cluss family: The dwelling house of the family (1), the wine cellar and press (2) and three smaller dwelling houses (3-5), which Heinrich Cluss bought 1821/22; he sold them a few years later at a profit.
The birth place of Adolf Cluss before World War 2.
The head of the Christ figure, made by Hans Seyfer; it was found 1905 in the Cluss house in the Klostergasse.
The Cluss House in the Klostergasse
In 1795, Adolf Cluss's grandfather bought a home with garden and courtyard, at number 39 Klostergasse. The large property was built in 1433 and survived as one of the oldest houses in Heilbronn. Among others, Johann Lachmann, the Heilbronn Reformer, had lived there for several years.
The Cluss family sold the house along with its neighboring wine cellar and press to Gustav Ehrmann in the early 1870's. In 1905, a passage was opened from the Klostergasse into the courtyard. During excavation, the head of a sculpted Christ figure was found, which later turned out to be a work of the sculptor, Hans Seyfer, who had completed the high altar in the Heilbronn Kilianskirche in 1498. The Christ figure had been part of a large crucifix, which Hans Seyfer had erected in front of the Suelmertor in 1505.
Georg Andreas Cluss, the grandfather of Adolf Cluss, had worked in the service of the Electors of Wuerttemberg, and as foreman, had prepared the construction site in front of the Sülmertor. The pedestal of the above mentioned crucifix was installed in the Garden of the Electoral Palace, and it is possible that the Christ head came to the Cluss House as one of the many small building fragments.