Heilbronn about 1800 - the model shows the city previous the demolition of the city walls and gates, which started about 1800.
Between 1825 - Cluss's birth year - and 1900, Heilbronn's population multiplied sixfold
Heilbronn from Napoleon to Bismarck
The 19th century began with a shock to the imperial city. Following the restructuring of Germany in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars, Heilbronn lost its political independence and in 1802/3 was placed under control of Wuerttemberg, which became a kingdom in 1805. The city's ecclesiastical possessions, in particular the entire "Deutschhof" monastery and church complex, were assigned to the state of Wuerttemberg.
In due course, the municipal "bourgeoisie" lost its political power. However, the positive development of Heilbronn was not interrupted, however, since the changes brought economic benefit. The decades that followed brought intellectual and cultural prosperity and most of the important names in the city belong to this era.
By the end of the century, Heilbronn increased into one of the major industrial cities in Southwest Germany. Many technical innovations brought important momentum to Adolf Cluss's home town: introduction of steamboat traffic between Heilbronn and Mannheim, Heilbronn's connection to the railroad network, improved barge navigation on the Neckar river and the increasing electricity supply.